Today I made nightgowns

The other day, my neighbor, Karen, gave me this soft cotton sheet that she had batik-ed and dyed years ago.  It was getting worn in spots, and she had repaired it, but decided it was time to retire it from her bed.  So lucky me! You know I can’t pass up free fabric – my closets are stuffed with this type of thing that sits for years and years.

So this time I decided to not let it even get to the closet, and make it into something right away, and with hand batik-ed fabric this heavy and soft, it was time to make the girls new nightgowns.

I used a simple sundress pattern that I made up a while ago – really, it’s just an a-line style with hemmed curves under the arms, a higher back than front, and a drawstring in place of shoulder straps.  One sheet easily made 2 long nightgowns, with some to spare.

Holt and Ryland sport their new gowns in front of the matching butterfly bush.

Holt and Ryland sport their new gowns in front of the matching butterfly bush.

see? they're for sleeping!

see? they're for sleeping!

close up of the top - I made a casing in back and front, then made a drawstring and ran it through and over the shoulders for straps.  Normally I leave the tie unfastened so they can adjust it, but since you don't want to fuss with your nightie, I stitched up the drawstring.  It still slides freely through the casings, but the girls don't have to worry about the tie coming undone in the night.

close up of the top - I made a casing in back and front, then made a drawstring and ran it through and over the shoulders for straps. Normally I leave the tie unfastened so they can adjust it, but since you don't want to fuss with your nightie, I stitched up the drawstring. It still slides freely through the casings, but the girls don't have to worry about the tie coming undone in the night.

In order to tell the 2 apart (since they both hate tags) I cut Ryland's with the stripes as a hem boarder, and Holt's with the stripes running up the side.  Also, Holt's is 2 inches longer.  We're sure Dad will wind up putting them in the wrong laundry pile, but us girls can tell them apart!

In order to tell the 2 apart (since they both hate tags) I cut Ryland's with the stripes as a hem boarder, and Holt's with the stripes running up the side. Also, Holt's is 2 inches longer. We're sure Dad will still wind up putting them in the wrong laundry pile, but us girls can tell them apart!

I love making things into other things.  Sometimes I think stuff like this is my most favorite stuff to make, because you get to be super creative, it costs basically nothing so there are no worries if you screw up, and in an hour or so, you have something new to wear right away.

The girls are sleeping soundly in their new gowns right now.  Zzzzzzzzzz.

Advertisements

1 Response to “Today I made nightgowns”


  1. 1 Jennifer Tan July 16, 2009 at 8:19 am

    So, so cute! What a nice idea. It’s great to see beautiful fabric reused. 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s





%d bloggers like this: